Imagine a set of muscles that impact everything from bladder control and sexual pleasure to pregnancy and overall well-being. These aren’t mythical wonder muscles; they’re your pelvic floor muscles, and strengthening them can be life-changing!
What are the pelvic floor muscles?
We can think of the pelvic floor like a hammock supporting the bladder, uterus and rectum. These hammock-like muscles play a crucial role in various bodily functions, including:
- Bladder control: Strong pelvic floor muscles help to prevent urine leakage, especially during activities like coughing, sneezing or laughing.
- Bowel control: They contribute to bowel control, aiding in smooth and complete elimination.
- Sexual health: Strong pelvic floor muscles can enhance sexual sensation and increase orgasm intensity for women.
- Pregnancy and childbirth: Pelvic floor exercises can prepare your body for pregnancy and childbirth, easing labour and postpartum recovery.
- Overall health: Strong pelvic floor muscles can improve core stability, posture, and even help prevent pelvic organ prolapse.
Why are pelvic floor exercises so important for women?
Women are more prone to pelvic floor weakness due to factors like pregnancy, childbirth and hormonal changes. This weakness can lead to various issues like incontinence, prolapse and sexual dysfunction.
Kegel exercises are the simplest and most effective way to strengthen your pelvic floor muscles without the need for any equipment or memberships. Imagine you’re trying to stop the flow of urine – without actually going to the bathroom. That’s essentially what a Kegel exercise is. Simply hold for a few seconds and then relax. Repeat this 10-15 times, three times a day.
Pelvic Floor Activities:
While Kegel exercises are fantastic, there are other ways to engage your pelvic floor. Activities like yoga, Pilates and even belly dancing can incorporate pelvic floor exercises. Remember, consistency is key!
Crystal Yoni Eggs:
Yoni eggs are smooth, egg-shaped crystals which are inserted into the vagina to contract and strengthen the pelvic floor muscles naturally.
Vaginal HIFU is a quick and easy non-surgical procedure that tightens and rehydrates the vagina, minimising the symptoms of stress incontinence whilst increasing sensation.
Benefits Beyond The Physical:
Strengthening your pelvic floor muscles isn’t just about enjoying the physical benefits; it can also boost your confidence and self-esteem. Knowing that you have better control over your own body can be incredibly empowering and give you the freedom to try new things and feel good from within.
Key Points To Remember
- If you’re unsure of how to do Kegel exercises correctly, consult a healthcare professional or physical therapist.
- There are various apps and devices available to help you track your progress and make your pelvic floor workouts more fun.
- Listen to your body and don’t overdo it. Start slow and gradually increase the intensity and duration of your exercises.
Remember, taking care of your pelvic floor is an investment in your overall health and happiness. Incorporating these simple exercises into your routine can help you to unlock a world of improved health, well-being, and confidence. It is never too late to start, so unleash your inner power and start reaping the many benefits today!