Acupressure mats are a type of alternative therapy that have been used for centuries to relieve pain, improve circulation and reduce stress. These mats are covered in small plastic spikes that apply pressure to specific points on the body, known as acupoints. According to traditional Chinese medicine, stimulating these acupoints can help to unblock the flow of energy and promote healing.
Acupressure mats are relatively inexpensive and easy to use as many online retailers stock them at varying prices and sizes. They can conveniently be used at home or on the go, and require no special training.
To use an acupressure mat, simply lie down on it with your bare skin exposed and adjust your position as necessary to target specific areas of your body. Essentially all that you have to do is sit back, try to relax and let the mat work its magic!
How to use an acupressure mat
- Start slowly. If you’re new to acupressure, start by using the mat for a few minutes at a time and gradually increase the duration from 5mins to 10-15mins or even 20-30mins as you become more comfortable.
- Place the mat on a flat surface. You can use the mat on the floor, on a bed, or on a sofa.
- Lie down on the mat with your skin exposed. You can of course wear thin clothing and underwear, but you’ll get the most benefit from it if you allow the spikes to come into direct contact with your skin.
- Adjust your position to target specific areas of your body. If you’re feeling pain in your back, for example, you can lie down on the mat with your back touching the spikes.
- Breathe deeply and relax. Allow the spikes to apply pressure to your acupoints for a maximum of 20-30mins at a time.
Why you should use an acupressure mat
Acupressure mats have been shown to offer a number of potential benefits, including:
- Pain relief: Acupressure can be effective for relieving a variety of types of pain including back pain, neck pain, headaches and menstrual cramps.
- Improved circulation: Acupressure can help to improve blood circulation, which can benefit overall health and well-being.
- Reduced stress: Acupressure can help to reduce stress and anxiety by releasing endorphins, which have mood-boosting effects.
- Improved sleep: Acupressure can help to improve sleep quality by reducing stress and anxiety.
- Reduced muscle tension: Acupressure can help to release muscle tension and improve flexibility.
I find that wearing a gym bra and lingerie is the perfect level of skin exposure for each acupressure session, as I listen to meditative music, light incense and candles and focus upon my breath which helps me to feel the most comfortable when using my acupressure mat.
Because it doesn’t need electricity or batteries, makes no noise and can be transported anywhere, my unzippable mat can be split into three sections to go under my feet, behind my back and beneath my hands when necessary as I work from home at my desk.
If you’re looking for a natural way to relieve pain, improve circulation, reduce stress or improve your sleep then an acupressure mat may be a good option for you. Acupressure mats are safe for most people to use, but it’s important to talk to your doctor before using one if you have any health concerns.